“You may think you need to be a good writer, but if you can write an e-mail or a post to someone, then you’ve got what it takes”
Ray Edwards, top and seasoned copywriter and communications strategist, is interviewed by Amy Porterfield in a fantastic 45-minute podcast which turned into a mini-training for copywriting tips and insights.
Aside from the thrill Porterfield got for being reunited with her friend Edwards, she also emphasized how copywriting basically is a simple concept which has a tremendous impact to your business revenue.
During this valued packed interview, Ray Edwards masterfully explains that being a good writer isn’t enough to be a good copywriter. So, if you weren’t top of your English class, that’s good. Because the people who really did well in English class are the people who struggle the most in writing persuasive copy.
It’s not everyday you get the chance to learn directly from one of the today’s true copywriting masters. Simply excellent stuff!
Ray Edwards: How to Write Copy That Sells
The Key Points Covered During the Interview…
What does “copywriting” actually mean? It is defined as “writing words that persuade people to do or buy something.” You want to write things which are first valuable to the people who are reading them. If your content is great content but doesn’t move people along a spectrum toward a buying decision, it won’t help your business.
“It’s a mistake to think that your content which adds value and your promotional content are two different things.”
Edwards clearly showed how effective it is for your business to train readers by always having a promotional link on your email. “You want your readers to be trained to expect a link and when they click on the link, they will be rewarded and get value for it.”
A rule-of-thumb which guides his copywriting decision is the 90-10 rule. This means that effective copywriting must consist of 90% content, while the remaining 10% will be promotional.
The content must be useful. Something that people can use right away. If they can picture themselves using and getting benefit, then you’ve succeeded.
How do you know if you’re giving away too much?
Your best marketing is your best material, Edwards states. This means that the top copywriter believes that people do not really want “information”, they want “transformation”.
“How do I know which questions to ask prospective customers?
Edwards showed an insightful way in dealing with which questions to ask prospective clients and customers.
He categorized these set of questions in two – the ten most frequently asked questions before they buy and the top ten questions which people should ask, but are not able to.
The latter are questions which will help them evaluate the buying decision they are about to make, presumably in your favor. You set criteria, but you do it in a way that is informative and helpful, even if they do not do business with you.
“In effective copywriting, what we are interested in is getting every person make a decision. That is a powerful place for you as the business owner and for the individual.”
Amy agreed with Edwards’ view that, indeed, part of persuasive copywriting is moving people into action and making a decision, instead of deferring such a decision.
So what are some of Ray’s personal secrets of success? “First, he writes in batches. he spends time on his e-mails and makes them scannable. He takes advantage of the three behaviors people have when they’re using the internet: they skim, they scan, and they scroll.
And as for his elegant brevity, it harkens back to Ernest Hemingway and his four keys to writing, which are – use short words, use short sentences, use short paragraphs and write in active language.
"Stay in the Loop, Don't Miss a Thing"
Get access to the INNER CIRCLE and stay ahead of the competition! Start receiving the cutting edge training, tips & advice that no one else gets!